EthanDesu shoe shine.
Tailor by trade, Sydney native Ethan Amos Newton is also dapper by definition. He began his tailoring endeavours as a teenager and has never stopped sewing exquisite fabrics together since. After spending 17 years in the profession honing his tailoring skills, Newton arrived in Hong Kong in 2011 to co-found The Armoury, one of our favourite men’s artisanal clothiers, overseeing the retailing front and, well, tailoring of the business.
His naturally picturesque store offers everything from cufflinks to blazers, and shirts to artisanal leather shoes, each in their designated corner. While shoe polishing is not a service offered by Newton – his method takes a few hours from start to finish, so it would be counter productive to charge for it – it is something he couldn’t stop doing in his free time at The Armoury.
Speaking composedly to us as he gently dips a cotton ball into alcohol and shoeshine, it is as if he has all the time in the world to clear his mind and enunciate his words ever so clearly. In Newton’s eyes, shoe polishing is an art and “a bit of a meditation”.
“There’s a definite philosophy behind shoe polishing,” says Newton, whose method is called “mirror polish” or aglacage, where coat after coat of base wax is built up until it comes to a mirror shine. “It is something that’s both very luxurious and frugal, because it’s not for the flashy guys who buy lots of shoes and throw them away when they get old.” Rather, according to Newton, it is for those who wish to install longevity in their shoes from day one.
As he buffs, repeatedly in circles, the sole of the shoe that is starting to shine (yes, even the sole), it suddenly dawns on me that shoe polishing has an inexplicable aesthetic component to it that is as mesmerising as it is rewarding, giving you the urge to take better care of whatever you walk in. “Most guys won’t do [shoe polishing] themselves, but it has definite results,” says Newton. “It’s one of those things that you start and you know if you put the time and effort in, and you do it properly, it will turn out beautifully.”
The word beautiful coming from an impeccably dressed man comes with a respectable force. Standing at about six feet tall, Newton’s sky-blue shirt flatters his obvious big frame under a well-worn apron, and his brown Oxford shoes are perfectly shined, partly hidden under the trunks of his wrinkle-free trousers. Even his trimmed brown beard suggests how meticulous he is about his appearance. He is the textbook example of a dapper gent.
Wondering how to maintain your shoes? For starters, don’t apply too much polish and water; also, you must allow sufficient time for the wax to sink in. Newton says he’s happy to teach. Try to get on his good side and he may even invite you to one of the private shoe-polishing (smoking, drinking and away-from-the-wives) sessions at The Armoury.
In the video above, Newton shares with us his philosophy on shoe polishing and some of the best tips for maintaining a pair of good-looking shoes.
307 Pedder Building, 12 Pedder Street, Central; +852 2804 6991
B62 Landmark Central, 15 Queen’s Road Central, Central; +852 2810 4990
Shoe shining. Shop’s in Hong Kong! Very neat.116 notes
Posted on Saturday, 27 October
Tagged as: cool dapper shoes
Reblogged from: iqfashion
Posted by: linenforsummertweedforwinter
- btphotographs likes this
- wishingihaditall likes this
- sphinxnomore likes this
- flaneurauxyeuxdor reblogged this from iwishtocontinue
- ksakke likes this
- thedappereddon likes this
- thriftedties reblogged this from simplelittledetails
- onemanseunoia likes this
- simplelittledetails reblogged this from linenforsummertweedforwinter
- brewingmystyle reblogged this from thisandthatstyle
- konradskuriositaetenemporium reblogged this from iwishtocontinue and added:
- madhouse16 likes this
- mannybricks reblogged this from linenforsummertweedforwinter and added:
- sim960 reblogged this from linenforsummertweedforwinter
- ham960 likes this
- inadvena reblogged this from iwishtocontinue
- truth247365 likes this
- adm-ralston likes this
- kingdomofme reblogged this from thisandthatstyle
- cavalierandcotton likes this
- reweti-kohere likes this
- iwishtocontinue reblogged this from linenforsummertweedforwinter
- iwishtocontinue likes this
- giantbeard likes this
- halfpastdecember likes this
- blackcatbones likes this
- meyercafe reblogged this from soqueriaterum and added:
- This was featured in #Menswear
- bestestrevenge likes this
- downeastandout likes this
- sorefromsleep likes this
- channova reblogged this from iqfashion
- manofstyle likes this
- meegosh likes this
- holaza likes this
- theoldpinesupply reblogged this from iqfashion
- aaabel likes this
- unknown-unassociated reblogged this from girlslikemenwhodresswell
- gj2 likes this
- thatguykasey likes this
- joshuatalking likes this
- adamhern5 likes this
- rtgtmiami reblogged this from linenforsummertweedforwinter
- brewingmystyle likes this
- kgmessier reblogged this from iqfashion
- stylescenesintime reblogged this from thisandthatstyle
- 4eyesstudios reblogged this from iqfashion
- bulawayoinkubus likes this
- zelkie reblogged this from iqfashion and added: